Timeless Kitchen Color Schemes
There are several reasons why you would want to choose a timeless color scheme for your kitchen. A timeless color scheme makes your kitchen easy to live with. It is also always in style because it never goes out. And, if you are selling your home, potential home buyers are more attracted to a timeless color scheme rather than something that is bold. So what color schemes are timeless in your kitchen?
When looking at kitchen color schemes, look to nature. Colors that are found in the soil, rocks and minerals are always fabulous color choices to incorporate into your kitchen design. These colors are timeless with their muted shades of gray, rust, brown and cream. Some things to think about with natural colors are:
- Use these colors for your permanent kitchen fixtures. You won’t regret natural shades for the expensive purchases such as flooring, cabinetry and appliances because you will be able to live with these colors for years to come.
- Wooden cabinets encase a wide range of classic brown hues.
- Stainless steel appliances convert to the perfect shades of gray.
- Granite and marble are wonderful natural additions for flooring, countertops and backsplashes.
A solid white kitchen may not be for everyone, but it is a timeless color scheme none-the-less. A white set of cabinets are just as appealing as those in natural wood tones are for your kitchen. A few things to think about for a classic white kitchen are:
- White or stainless steel appliances are a good choice for a classic white kitchen scheme.
- There are multiple shades of white on the market. From cold, stark white to the warmer hues of antique white, there is a shade that is right for you.
A Dash of Color
If you don’t like the look of a classic white kitchen, feel free to add a splash of color. Consider adding a dash of warmth by adding a wood or tile flooring. A few other things to consider are:
- Avoid a sterile or cold feeling by adding a bit of color to the walls.
- Add colored accessories such as dishware, rugs and other accessories.
- Think about the classic Wedgewood dishes. These highly collectible dishes in the classic blue and white patterns make these dishes timeless. Therefore, blue is a classic accent color to an all-white kitchen.
Another timeless color scheme for your kitchen is all black. Black is a very popular color choice for granite countertops. Appliances and cabinets in black are considered to be a classic option, just don’t overdo the amount of black. Otherwise, you’ll be entering a cave, not a kitchen. A few other things to keep in mind when adding black to your kitchen are:
- Keep the walls painted a lighter color to help brighten your room.
- To help keep the balance, surround your black additions with lots of white or neutral colors.
- Add small splashes of color with accessories to help spark interest.
When thinking about colors in nature, you don’t have to think of just strictly brown. Think about the greens you find in the trees and in your garden! A few things to keep in mind for your green kitchen are:
- Think about the vegetables and fruits you will pick from your garden and use those inspirations in your kitchen.
- Mix the splashes of garden colors with neutrals, shades of white, cream and black.